Saturday, 23 May 2015

25th Regiment of Foot - King's Own Scottish Borderers



19th March 1689

The Earl of Leven's, or Edinburgh, Regiment of Foot.
Until 1751 it was also known by the names of eight other colonels.
1st July 1751
25th (Edinburgh) Regiment of Foot 

31st August 1782
25th (the Sussex) Regiment of Foot 
7th May 1805
25th (The King's Own Borderers) Regiment of Foot 
Named for King George III and the Sussex title passed to the 35th regiment of Foot.
1870
25th (The York) Regiment of Foot (King's Own Borderers)
1st July 1881
The York Regiment of Foot (King's Own Borderers)

Re-organised with HQ at Berwick-on-Tweed.
1881
The King's Own Borderers
1st May 1887
The King's Own Scottish Borderers
Re-organised as the county regiment of Berwickshire (transferred from the Royal Scots), Dumfries-shire, Roxburghshire, and Selkirkshire (all formerly Royal Scots Fusiliers)
1899
Galloway (Kirkudbright and Wigtown) recruiting area transferred from Royal Scots Fusiliers
1968
Cameronians are disbanded and the KOSB absorbs the south Lanarkshire recruiting area.
28th March 2006
Amalgamated with the Royal Scots, The Royal Highland Fusiliers, The Black Watch, The Highlanders (Seaforth, Gordons and Camerons) and The Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders to form the Royal Regiment of Scotland.

Monday, 4 May 2015

24th Regiment of Foot - South Wales Borderers


8th March 1689
Sir Edward Dering's Regiment of Foot.

Until 1751 it was also known by the names of other colonels.
1747
Ranked as 24th Foot.
1st July 1751
24th (the 2nd Warwickshire) Regiment of Foot 

1st July 1881
The South Wales Borderers

Re-organised as the county regiment of Brecknockshire, Cardiganshire, Monmouthshire, Montgomeryshire, and Radnor
11th June 1969
Amalgamated with the Welsh Regiment to form the Royal Regiment of Wales (24th/41st Foot).
1st March 2006
Amalgamated with the Royal Welch Fusiliers to form the Royal Welsh. It becomes the 2nd Battalion, Royal Welsh whilst the Royal Welch Fusiliers became the 1st Battalion.


The image on this post, courtesy of the Historum, shows 24th Foot veterans of Rorke's Drift in 1934.