Saturday 23 May 2015

25th Regiment of Foot - King's Own Scottish Borderers

19th March 1689

The Earl of Leven's, or Edinburgh, Regiment of Foot.
Until 1751 it was also known by the names of eight other colonels.
1st July 1751
25th (Edinburgh) Regiment of Foot 

31st August 1782
25th (the Sussex) Regiment of Foot 
7th May 1805
25th (The King's Own Borderers) Regiment of Foot 
Named for King George III and the Sussex title passed to the 35th regiment of Foot.
25th (The York) Regiment of Foot (King's Own Borderers)
1st July 1881
The York Regiment of Foot (King's Own Borderers)

Re-organised with HQ at Berwick-on-Tweed.
The King's Own Borderers
1st May 1887
The King's Own Scottish Borderers
Re-organised as the county regiment of Berwickshire (transferred from the Royal Scots), Dumfries-shire, Roxburghshire, and Selkirkshire (all formerly Royal Scots Fusiliers)
Galloway (Kirkudbright and Wigtown) recruiting area transferred from Royal Scots Fusiliers
Cameronians are disbanded and the KOSB absorbs the south Lanarkshire recruiting area.
28th March 2006
Amalgamated with the Royal Scots, The Royal Highland Fusiliers, The Black Watch, The Highlanders (Seaforth, Gordons and Camerons) and The Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders to form the Royal Regiment of Scotland.

No comments: