Sunday, 27 December 2015
26th Regiment of Foot - The Cameronians (Scottish Rifles)
The Cameronian Guard.
19th April 1689The Earl of Angus's Regiment.
Entered British service under King William III. Also known as The Cameronians and by the names of six other colonels until 1751.
1st July 1751
26th Regiment of Foot.
16th February 1786
26th (The Cameronian) Regiment of Foot. 1881
Together with the 90th Regiment of Foot (Perthshire Volunteers) (Light Infantry) becomes The Cameronians (Scottish Rifles). This regiment - and the Highland Light Infantry - are organised as the county regiments for Lanarkshire
14th May 1968
Cameronians are disbanded and the King's Own Scottish Borderers absorbs the south Lanarkshire recruiting area.