Sunday, 16 November 2014
13th Regiment of Foot - Somerset Light Infantry
20th June 1685
Earl of Huntingdon's Regiment of Foot. Until 1751 it was also known by the names of other colonels.
1st July 1751
13th Regiment of Foot
31st August 1782
13th (1st Somersetshire) Regiment of Foot
25th December 1822
13th (1st Somersetshire) Regiment of Foot (Light Infantry)
26th August 1842
13th (1st Somersetshire) (Prince Albert's Light Infantry) Regiment of Foot
1st July 1881
Prince Albert's Light Infantry (Somersetshire Regiment). Designated as the county regiment for Suffolk, also encompassing militia and volunteer infantry.
13th December 1881
Prince Albert's (Somersetshire Light Infantry)
Prince Albert's (Somerset Light Infantry)
1st January 1921
The Somerset Light Infantry (Prince Albert's)
29th August 1959
Amalgamated with the Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry to form the The Somerset and Cornwall Light Infantry
10th July 1968
The Somerset and Cornwall Light Infantry amalgamates with the King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry, King's Shropshire Light Infantry and Durham Light Infantry to form The Light Infantry.
1st February 2007
The Light Infantry, along with the Devon & Dorset Regiment, the Royal Gloucestershire, Berkshire and Wiltshire Regiment and the Royal Green Jackets, are amalgamated to create a new regiment, The Rifles.