Sunday, 23 November 2014
15th Regiment of Foot - East Yorkshire Regiment
22nd June 1685
Sir William Clifton's Regiment of Foot. The regiment was raised at Nottingham. Until 1751 it was also known by the names of other colonels.
1st July 1751
15th Regiment of Foot
31st August 1782
15th (the Yorkshire East Riding) Regiment of Foot.
1st July 1881
The East Yorkshire Regiment. Designated as the county regiment for the East Riding, also encompassing militia and volunteer infantry.
6th May 1935
The East Yorkshire Regiment (The Duke of York's Own).
25th April 1958
Amalgamated with the West Yorkshire Regiment (The Prince of Wales's Own) to form the Prince of Wales's Own Regiment of Yorkshire.
6th June 2006
Prince of Wales's Own Regiment of Yorkshire. merges with the Green Howards and The Duke Of Wellington's Regiment to form The Yorkshire Regiment. The Prince of Wales's Own Regiment of Yorkshire becomes the 1st Battalion of the Yorkshire Regiment.
The image, courtesy of Wikipedia, shows John Theophilus Rawdon-Hastings, 2nd son of the 1st Earl of Moira, in the uniform of the 15th Regiment of Foot (1776) with a flintlock gun (and two adoring dogs).